Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Tutorial Tuesday-Pop up box card and A Winner!

Before we get to the tutorial I have a winner to announce! Thanks to all those who left comments for the blog candy post. I loved reading what you love about SU too!!!
I did a random drawing from random.org and the winner is........comment number 4 from Mary Skow!!!
She said-
"My favorite new item are the new In Color markers! I am so excited for these. I have been waiting a very long time for SU to make these available. YAHOO!!!" Mary Skow

Congratulations Mary!!! Please email me with your mailing address so that I can get your prizes off to you!!!!

For today's tutorial, I'm going to show you how to make the rose card that I posted last week. The rose card was started with an 8x8 piece of cardstock so when it's folded it's 4x4. For today's card I'm using a 6x6 piece of cardstock and we'll end up with a 3x3 card. This card is easily adapted for any shape. You just need to start with a square and you can make any size card.
Ok, I have my 6x6 piece of Creamy Caramel, I also have 4 pieces of Chocolate Chip that are 2 3/4 x 2 3/4. Other supplies you'll need, sticky strip, bone folder, you're stamps, some ribbon. I've already stamped everything using the Animal Crackers set and we're just going to assemble. This card is going to be so CUTE!!!!


First I thought I would show you how I made all the acorns for this card. The bottom of the acorn is the small oval punch in Creamy Caramel. After I punched it I pressed it into my Creamy Caramel pad to get random texture on it. The top of the acorn is about half of the 3/4 inch circle punch. Just put the top on and you have your acorn!


For the card, score your 6x6 cardstock at 3 in both directions. If you're using a 8x8 piece score at 4. You're just scoring down the middle so whatever size square you use score down the middle.
Cut the bottom vertical score line until you get to the horizontal score line. Then score the top right square diagonally from the corner to the center of the cardstock (or where the scoreline intersect).
Fold on all your score lines.
This picture better illustrates what you need to do.



Put adhesive on the bottom of the bottom right corner-does that make sense. Sticky Strip would work best. I'm just using snail for this tutorial.

Glue the bottom 2 squares together. You should have the box shape.



Glue your scene on.
MAKE SURE THAT WHEN YOU GLUE THE RIGHT SIDE ON, YOU ONLY PUT GLUE ON THE BOTTOM CORNER. BELOW THE DIAGONAL SCORE LINE. If you put glue on the whole part, the card will not fold correctly.



This is how your card will fold. The diagonal score line will fold in and the left side will fold over that.



Glue the front of your scene on. I used dimensionals to put it on, so I can slide my ribbon under it but if you are gluing it without dimensionals make sure to put your ribbon on first.


The ribbon will wrap around the card, tie at the bottom.




Your card is done. How adorable. The greeting says, "I'm nuts about you" How cute it that! I just love it!!!
The little squirrel and the giant acorns reminds me of the movie Ice Age with Scrat and his quest to get that acorn. I really want to see the new one that just came out. We just have to find time to go.
So that's the tutorial for today. I hope it wasn't too confusing.
Thanks for looking, see you tomorrow!!

3 comments:

vickiw said...

I cannot believe no one has commented on this adorable card. Now all you have to do is figure out which "nutty" friend you're going to give it to. :D
thanks for the tutorial TOO

~Chris~ said...

What a beautiful Card. Thank you for the Step by Step Instructions on how to do this.. I will have to try it..

mel m. m. mccarthy said...

How perfect! This is ultra adorable & your tutorial is Fab. Thanks so much for sharing it! :O)