Tuesday, March 10, 2020

Strawberry Scented Embossing Powder

The Witty-Cisms stamp set is so cute!  Every time I use it I'm reminded how much I love it!  This time I took the card to the next level and made a scratch and sniff card!  This card really smells like strawberries!  The secret is in the embossing powder.  I shared this card a couple weeks ago with my team.  It's so easy to make!  The rest of the card is pretty simple I used the Basket Weave folder to add lots of texture and I paired it with the Poppy Parade gingham DSP from the Brights Pack.  Add some ribbon and jewels and this card is done!  I have a full supply list below.
To make the scented embossing powder you need two things, clear embossing powder and Koolaid.  When you purchase your Koolaid make sure you get the little envelopes with no sugar added.  If you get the Koolaid with the sugar already added when you heat it you'll end up with a caramelized mess instead of yummy scented embossing.  I only made a small amount of this when I made mine, a little embossing powder goes a long way. But if you have a big embossing project then by all means make as much as you want the ratio is 2:1, two parts embossing powder to one part Koolaid.  When I made mine I used an 1/8 teaspoon of Koolaid to 1/4 teaspoon to embossing powder.  That may seem like such a tiny amount but remember you use very little embossing powder when you emboss.  After a couple of these cards I still have some scented powder left.  Once your embossing powder is made you can use it just like any other embossing powder.

Just a few tips for success:
  • The Koolaid will tint your embossing powder a little, not a whole lot, but enough to notice.  So make sure your stamp in whatever color your embossing powder is.  For my card I used my Stamparatus to stamp my image in Poppy Parade then again in Versamark.  The Stamparatus makes sure I can restamp in the exact spot again.  
  • Unlike plain embossing powder your scented powder will not be a smooth glossy texture.  It will raised and almost the texture of embossing paste.  If you want a super smooth finish this might not be your technique.  
  • Make sure you use your Embossing Buddy for this technique, you don't want stray Koolaid sticking everywhere. 
  • I'm not sure how long the scent lasts, but I would recommend mailing or giving these cards recently after making.  I still have the couple I made nearly 2 weeks later and they still smell nice like strawberries, but I'm not sure that will last the test of time.  Good rule of thumb, use it when you make it. 
Have fun with this one! 

Thanks for looking, see you soon!!!

Supplies:
Strawberry Koolaid (via Amazaon) (I bought mine at Walmart)

No comments: