Thursday, May 29, 2014

One Card, Three Ways

This card is so much fun!  One of my favorites for sure!!  I've been pulling out my vellum more and more lately.  I love vellum, I always have but it seems I'm grabbing it more and more.  These cards are no exception.  It's the same card but 3 different colors schemes going on.  I'm not sure which is my favorite, I love them all!!!  I did discover something tragic while making this card.  I have a lot of retired embossing powder :(  I ended up using gold (not my first choice), but I'm so glad I did because I love the way this card came out, I would have had a completely different look if I went with the Melon Mambo embossing powder as I originally was going to. 
The first card I used Melon Mambo and Blackberry Bliss.  Since the cards are all the same I'll explain a different element on each card.  This one we'll start with the embossing.  Both the white and vellum are embossed, I used the clear embossing powder on the white with the Dictionary Background stamp.  The vellum is stamped is embossed with gold.  Make sure your careful when you emboss on vellum.  Just heat until the powder is melted and glossy, if you go beyond that you risk scorching your vellum, which is easy to do.  Back to the white.  After it's embossed I just used a sponge and sponged on color, in this case Melon Mambo.  I sponged it darker where the vellum would be and gradually go lighter.  I love this look!!! 
The next one I used some new In Colors.  This one is Lost Lagoon and Hello Honey.  Let's talk flowers now.  I'm using the new flower punch from the Itty Bitty Accents Punch Pack (coming in the new 2014-2015 catalog).  Because I used the gold embossing powder I thought this would be a great time to use some gold sequins.  I added them to the center of each flower, but it still didn't look complete so I colored some rhinestones black (I used a black sharpie to get them black) and added them on top of the sequins.  That's exactly what they needed.  After the flowers were added it still needed something so some extra sequins were added "randomly" :) 
Finally the last card.  For this one I used Island Indigo and Pink Pirouette.  Last but not least let's talk ribbon!  When you use vellum the challenging part is how to attach the vellum to your project.  For this card I used ribbon to keep the vellum secured.  There's no adhesive at all under the vellum.  I used Melon Mambo and Basic Black Taffeta for the first two cards.  For this one I went with Bakers Twine.  If I didn't use ribbon I would have attached the vellum by hiding glue dots or dimensionals behind the stamped greeting or the flowers.  I hope you liked this card done 3 ways.  Which is your favorite??? I'd love to know, leave me a comment below. 
Thanks for looking, see you soon!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Super cute!! (Yes, I'm still stalking you!)

Melinda said...

I like them all!!! If I had to pick, I think it would be the Lost Lagoon ... I'm not why.