Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Bright Butterfly

I have a beautiful card today.  Pictures don't seem to capture it.  There's so much going on with the butterfly!  First I wanted the butterfly on one layer, but I didn't want it to take up the whole card-HUGE problem I know!  I'll explain in a minute how I got that look.  But once I did achieve it (Yay! Success!!) I had to color it.  I used blender pens and my ink pads to color it.  I used Bermuda Bay, Melon Mambo and Crushed Curry. 
Once it was colored it needed something else....it just didn't look complete.  So I thought Crystal Effects would add a nice shine and glossy look.  I was right!  But even then, it STILL needed something!  So while the Crystal Effects was still wet I sprinkled-gently- Dazzling Diamonds Glitter on it!  That sparkle was it!  That completed it!!  I hope you're seeing the glitter, there's not lot on there, just enough to make it sparkle.  In real life, it's beautiful!!  It took a little while for the Crystal Effects to fully dry, not as long as I thought, but it wasn't a quick card.  Finally to complete the card I added some pink rhinestones.  You'll have to forgive me but these are retired, they came in a kit, I don't even what kit they came in.  I loved them and hung on to them hoping SU would come out with pink rhinestones (I'm still hoping!).  They got misplaced for a while and I didn't find them until a couple weeks ago during my huge room redo. I love them and I just scattered them around the butterfly randomly. 
Masking the butterfly, here's how I did it.  This Swallowtail stamp is big, it could cover the entire card, but I didn't want it to, I wanted a nice border.  This card came about because I was going through some old cards, ones I did YEARS ago and I came across a card (It's the 2nd card..please also remember these cards were done in 2008...that's it).  I used the Lovely as a Tree set.  I loved the look of it so I wanted to do a spring version of it, so I thought this butterfly would work perfectly! To get the 'masked look.  I placed Post It notes along the edge of my card.  Then stamped. 
When you remove the Post It notes, you're left with your masked version of the stamp.  It's simple and you can do it with ANY stamp.  While I was searching my archives for the sample of the card that inspired this one.  I came across some fun stuff that I had forgotten I'd made.  I may go back and create some more updated versions of some of my past cards.  I think that sounds like fun!! 
Thanks for looking, see you soon!!!

No comments: