Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Tutorial Tuesday--My Favorite Box

Welcome to another Tutorial Tuesday. I spent the weekend thinking about what I would show you and as I was going through some notes I found the note with the dimensions for my favorite box to make. So that's what I'm going to show you. Why is it my favorite box? Well it's easy to make, but very pretty, and it's a great size, not too big and not too small. The finished box is 4x4 and 2 inches high. So let's get started.
You'll need an 8x8 piece of cardstock, I'm using Baja Breeze. A 6 1/8 x 6 1/8 piece of DSP (if you want a really snug fitting lid you can use a piece of DSP that measures 6 1/16 x 6 1/16), I'm using Walk in the Park. By the way there are only a couple days left of the DSP sale. Remember if you buy 3 you get 1 free! It's a great deal and a super way to stock up on your DSP. You'll also need sticky strip, scissors and 4 pieces of a coordinating cardstock (I'm using Basic Gray) those pieces need to be 4 x 1. I've used the scallop border punch on all of mine.


On your 8x8 piece of cardstock you're going to score at 2 inches all the way around it. Then your cut along the horizontal score lines until you get to the vertical score lines. I like to cut my tabs into triangles. See photo above for better explanation. I think it cuts down on the bulkiness of the box, and it's easier to assemble.


Fold along your score lines and assemble box with sticky strip.




Score your lid at 1 inch all the way around and cut the tabs the exact same way as you did the box.



I like to assemble my scallop borders now but you can also wait until your lid is assembled to do it. I prefer to do it in this step because I think it's easier to glue, but I have forgotten them and glued them after it's assembled, so whichever way you prefer works just fine.



Your lid should slide right on top. Isn't it so cute already!



Just a few embellishments. Some Baja Breeze double stictched ribbon and the bird from the Summer Love Rub-Ons.

Thanks for looking, see you tomorrow!

No comments: