Featured Post

2017 New Catalog Stamp Camp and Retired Stamp Set Sale!

This year's Stamp Camp will be amazing!  With fantastic new products and beautiful new colors you won't want to miss it!!  Space is...

Friday, August 16, 2013

My First Crack At Undefined

I am by no means an artist, don't claim to be one.  I'm a pretty good paper crafter and stamper with other people's art, but I'm not the artist.  So when Stampin' Up! introduced this new line of stamps that you can carve yourself, I was, well not entirely excited.  I was curious, enough to buy it anyway.  I've seem amazing things done with it.  I knew mine wouldn't be so grand.  But I did want to give it a go.  I drew up this little penguin, more on him in a minute. I carved him.  I took about 20 minutes.  Overall I'm about 90% pleased with him.  He's not perfect, he's got a few imperfections (don't we all).  But I think he's cute and I'll probably use him more, Logan will use him for sure. 
Where did a get a penguin.  Well I wanted to carve something, I don't have a symbol or anything that 'defines' me (at least none that I can think of, if you know of something please let me know).  So then I started thinking more about what I love.  This little penguin card sits above my desk on a clipboard.  He's lived there for years.  So long that the cardstock is faded, due to being exposed to the sun.  But I love him, he's one of my all time favorite punched guys.  I love this little penguin!  So I thought, we'll why not turn him into a stamp.  Well as you can see my drawing it not quite the same, however it's a close relative.  So then I carved. 
 
Things I'd like to improve on:  Accuracy of cutting.  The rubber is easy to carve.  The undefined kit comes with tools that cut through the rubber easily and quickly.  However I did notice that it's easy to get carried away, perhaps cut something you don't mean to cut.  For example, the little blade got away from me and cut a little into his beak.  I didn't even notice it until it was stamped, and it became clear.  It's not a huge issue or concern, but if I were to do him again I'd defiantly watch it a little more. 
I gave his wings and the 'black' part of the penguin a little texture on the rubber.  Mostly because I wanted some details and I wanted the beak and eyes to pop and not get lost in the rubber.  So I just used one of my carving tools and gently cut into it, just to give it some texture.  I also carved him a scarf and hat, I thought he needed it and it will be fun to dress him up.  So that's my undefined story.  He's not perfect.  I knew anything I did wouldn't be.  But it was fun, and easier than I thought it would be.  So give it a try! 
Thanks for looking, see you soon!!!!

1 comment:

Mary said...

Hi Ruth. Your little penguin is so cute. I like the way you did the texturing, and added the hat and scarf. The finished card is adorable! I know I want to try this - I have a little duck that I used as my "signature" as a kid and I thought it'd be fun to turn it into a stamp.