Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Tutorial Tuesday--Mini Milk Carton Box

I've mentioned before how much I love the mini milk carton die from the mini, but now I have even more reasons to love it. I made this little carrier for the milk cartons and it's too cute! I'm so excited to show it to you!! This carrier holds 2 of the milk cartons, if you want it to hold 4 just make 2 boxes and stick them together back to back. I think 2 is a great number-how cute would it be for a gift, in one carton you have a stampin' spot, in the other a small stamp. How adorable-I know I'd love to get that gift!
So for the tutorial I'm going to give the dimensions and show you how it needs to be cut and scored, then I'll show a finished one. And I hope you think it's as cute as I do!

You'll need some cardstock that's 5 1/2 x 7 1/4. On the 5 1/2 side score at 1 and 4 1/2. On the 7 1/4 side score at 1 and 2 3/4, also score at 3 3/4 from the outside up to each 1 inch score line, the picture will better illustrate this.
On the dotted lines you'll fold and on the solid lines you'll cut. Notice how the top score line doesn't go all the way across the cardstock.

Once you get it scored and cut apply sticky strip to the tabs with the 'x' on them. And assemble your box, couldn't be easier!

Here's the finished ones! I just love it!!! I used some more of my Sweet Pea DSP for this one.

The new bird punch! LOVE IT!!
One other tip I'll point out, if you plan to make your carrier hold 4 cartons, make sure you glue them back to back BEFORE punching the handle (I used the wide oval for mine). That way the handle is lined up perfectly. I think it's super adorable with just 2 though, and if you make the handle a little taller you could hang it on a door knob-how adorable would that be!?! You could hang it on the door knob of coworkers offices, kids bedrooms, neighbors! How adorable. I think I might just do that!!
Thanks for looking, see you tomorrow!!!!

7 comments:

MaGoooo said...

Ruth this is GREAT! Thank you for sharing with us!!

Unknown said...

This is very cute! I am going to have to get this die...love it! Congrats on being picked as a blog pick of the day:)

Teri said...

Wow Ruth! I love your tutorial for the mini milk cartons! Thanks so much for sharing!

Dawn O (dostamping) said...

I've been seeing these carriers all over. Thanks for sharing your measurements. Great way to package them up!
www.dostamping.typepad.com

Kim Jenkins said...

This is very cute, thanks for sharing it. I was going to sit down and figure one of these out, but you just saved me a lot of time and a lot of cardstock.

Kim

Renee Ondrajka said...

Ruth, thanks for the great instructions for the milk carton tote. I made one and posted it on my blog today. You can find the link here:

http://stampinwithrenee.blogspot.com/2010/07/how-about-3d-item.html

I gave you full credit and thanks for sharing.

Blessings,

Renee

Stefy said...

Hi. I've been looking at all the wonderful idea's by blog hopping. I just became a demonstrator this month. The mini milk carton is my favorite. It going to be first on my list when I put my first order in. Thanks so much for sharing the carrier. I also love the idea of having the little cartons as give away gifts. My first workshop I plan to do as no charge, just to introduce myself.
thanks again for sharing

stefy