Monday, June 27, 2022

Hippest Hippos On Point Slimline Card

I have the cutest card to share with you today!  I'm pulling out my Hippest Hippos Sale-a-Bration Set again.  I hope you're not already tired of seeing them because I have so many fun ideas for these hippos!  Today's card is a slimline card.  So my card base is 8 1/2" x 7" on the 7" side I scored it at 3 1/2".  This makes are great size to work with and they fit perfectly in our Slimline Envelopes.  The Soft Suede layer is 3 1/4" x 8 1/4", the Basic white is 3" x 8".  

stampin up, hippest hippos

My background is done with Blending Brushes.  For the stage I put a long piece of Post It Tape about 3/4" from the bottom and added some Soft Suede with my Blending Brush.  Then I taped off the stage and added more Post It Tape to create a spotlight.  I used Daffodil Delight and a Blending Brush to add the spotlight.  

stampin up, hippest hippos

My hippos are colored with Stampin' Blends.  For the hippos themselves I used Gray Granite, Balmy Blue, Smoky Slate and Pool Party.  Their tummies and noses are done with the Stampin' Blends Light Combo and Smoky Slate for the Balmy Blue Hippo.  Their tutu's are colored with Polished Pink, Fresh Freesia, Sweet Sorbet and Tahitian Tide.  I went over all their tutu's and shoes with a Wink Of Stella Pen because if you can't add sparkle to a ballerina who can you add it for!?!

stampin up, hippest hippos

Now I'd already stepped this card up but I wanted to step it up a little more and add fancy curtains.  To give them velvety look I used a piece of Sweet Sorbet that was about 2 3/4" x 2 3/4".  I crumpled, scrunched and used my bone folder to break down every fiber in that cardstock.  This is an extra step that takes a few minutes but it's totally worth it!  I started with my bone folder, in all directions.  Once the paper is nice and curled I crumpled it in my hand, opened it back up, carefully so you don't rip it, and keep doing that until the edges of the paper start to separate into two pieces.  Once it starts to separate you can carefully pull them apart.  The inside of the cardstock is this beautiful faux suede, velvety texture.  The more you crumple and break those fibers the easier it will separate.  If it's not coming apart keep going!  When it starts to separate pull them apart slowly, if they're not coming apart in the middle put the paper back together and keep breaking the fibers.  Once I had my two sides I put adhesive only on the top and pleated them on my card.  Any excess was trimmed off. 

I have a full supply list below.  You can shop for these products in my Online Store.  The Hippest Hippos Set and Hippo Dies will be available on July 1!  

No comments: