Monday, October 9, 2017

Ink Blended Backgrounds

If you follow my blog you know I love ink blending!  I do it pretty frequently.  It's probably my go to technique when I want a fun background so I wanted to make sure I include it in my demonstration.  I use our sponge daubers and I have a specific dauber for each color.  They're labeled and I store them in one of our wood mount cases.  I like to refer to my daubers as being "seasoned", once they're seasoned they'll blend so much better.  A couple of tips I'll give when ink blending, use circular motions instead of back and forth or up and down.  You'll get a much better blend.  I always start light and go dark.  For this first example, after I had my greens all blended together (I used Lemon Lime Twist, Emerald Envy and Tranquil Tide), I used my white craft ink and a sponge dauber to add some circles creating a bokah look.  
For this example I created an under the sea scene with some shades of blues.  I used Soft Sky, Marina Mist and Pacific Point.  I made sure to mask off all the mermaids with post it notes before ink blending so that they wouldn't pick up the color.  After I applied my background color I watercolored the mermaids with our watercolor pencils. 

Thanks for looking, see you soon!

No comments: