Monday, September 22, 2008

Tutorial Tuesday--Owl with punches

I've seen this owl done a couple of different ways with the punches so I've taken ideas from them and made it my own. I think he's super cute! I don't own a single Halloween stamp set so this is how I improvised.

I did a "Passion for Punches" class a few months ago and it was one of the most popular classes that I have ever done so in honor of today's tutorial I am announcing my Passion for Punches 2 class coming soon! I'll have details in the next day or two on it so keep a look-out for that!


On to the tutorial, for the owl you'll need the following punches:


1 3/4 circle NEW!, round tab, scallop circle, 1/4 circle, boho blossom, 3/4 circle, 1/2 circle, 5 petal, and the large oval (not pictured).



From Chocolate Chip cardstock punch 1-round tab and 1-1 3/4 circle. From Close to Cocoa cardstock punch 2 scallop circles.





From Pumpkin Pie cardstock punch 2 of the smallest flowers from the Boho Blossom punch. Punch 2 circles with the 3/4 circle punch out of close to cocoa, 2 with the 1/2 punch out of So Saffron and 2 with the 1/4 punch out of white cardstock. Use the Pumpkin Pie cardstock and punch one petal from the 5 Petal Flower punch.






Use the coordinating ink pads and shade the edges of all your pieces. I used the pad to paper technique but you could also use a sponge or sponge daubers for the same look.




Use a piece of scrap paper and temporarily glue the scallop circles on it. You'll need to remove the scrap paper so make sure you use an adhesive that you can peel off. I like to use my 2 way glue pen. After you put the glue on the back, let it dry and it will be sticky like a post it note, you can peel it off easily. Line up the scallop punch so that 6 scallops are on the edge of the punch. Punch your wings and remove the scrap paper.





Glue the wings to the edge of your chocolate chip circle.








Glue the round tab punch on for his head and your 2 close to cocoa 3/4 inch circles for his eyes.



Glue the so saffron circles on the close to cocoa circles and the white on top of that to finish the eyes.





Turn him over and glue the flowers on for his feet, turn him back over and glue his beak on from the 5 petal flower punch. I used a dimensional for his beak. Use a black marker and finish his eyes. Glue to a card and your done!I used the 'Happy Halloween' phrase from the chit chat rub-ons. He is mounted on a piece of old olive, elegant eggplant and close to cocoa. I used jumbo eyelets and eggplant ribbon to finish it off. So cute!





Thanks for looking see you tomorrow!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! This owl is waaaay cute!!! Great tutorial by the way too!! TFS! ~Heidi

Lee said...

This owl is just the cutest thing. A lot of work to do one, but your card is so worth it.
Lee