Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Tutorial Tuesday--WHAT!?

I know it's been FOR-EVER since I've done a Tutorial Tuesday and boy am I out of practice :)  I wanted to show you how I made the box to hold the 3x3 notecards in it from this post.  Now believe me when I say that the first time I did this box it came together so easy and simple and FAST!  When I went to do the tutorial, I couldn't find the measurements anywhere-I KNOW I wrote them down!!  So then it turned into recreating the box trying to measure it while it's put together, you'll see later that I ended up taking it apart to get accurate dimensions.  But let's get started :)

To start you'll need a piece of cardstock or DSP that is 11x7 1/2.  This is new DSP from a pack called Just Add Cake.  It's super cute!!!! Now scoring, on the 11 inch side score it at 1/2, 3 3/4, 5 3/4 and 9.  On the 7 1/2 inch side score it at 1/2,  2 1/2 and 5 3/4.  Fold on all score lines. 

Here's the other side of the DSP, thought you'd like to see both :)  Now it's time to do a little trimming.  PLEASE NOTE-I forgot to leave the tabs that go on the top inside of the box, you'll see those in the next picture.  The tabs aren't necessary but it makes the box a little cuter.   Otherwise as far as trimming goes.  On the top you'll cut on the 2 1/2 inch score line almost all the way across leaving your top flap and side tabs (if you want).  The bottom you'll cut on all the score lines up to the first horizontal score line.  I like to cut all mine at angles, it makes boxes go together so much easier! 

Here's my Old Olive box that was taken apart to make sure the measurements were right :)  You'll only need to put sticky strip in 2 spots.  One strip on the 1/2 inch tab on the side and one on the bottom flap of your box.  You can glue all the other bottom flaps to but I don't think that's necessary.  But that's your call, I'll never know. 


Here's the 2 boxes put together.  They just need a little decoration and they're done!!  I hope you've enjoyed my somewhat bumpy ride back into tutorials.  I'm not sure if they'll go back to being a weekly thing, but you never know.  I just thought this box was way to cute and way to simple not to share :)
Thanks for looking, see you soon!!!

1 comment:

Jeanette said...

Thank you so much for this tutorial. I can do this. And I don't have to buy a 30+ dollar die to do it. Thank you again.